Did you know that updating MacOS is always free, and that for most Apple Mac computers, that update or upgrade to MacOS is a straightforward task, however, as with MacOS there is always more than one way to upgrade and update MacOS.
Before you update MacOS, make sure that you have an Apple Mac computer backup of your computer, to an external storage volume, that is less than 4 years old, and also perform a MacOS software audit too, if you are upgrading an Apple Mac computer that has a high number of third-party software applications then a MacOS software audit is recommended.
How to install older MacOS versions on your Mac.
For the best Apple Mac computer security, upgrade your Apple Mac operating system to the latest version that your Apple Mac computer can install and run. Read our free guide on how to install an older version of the Apple MacOS operating system software that is compatible with your Apple Mac computer.
Steps needed to upgrade your Apple Mac OS operating system software.
Read thru our guide on how to upgrade the Apple MacOS operating system software on your Apple Mac computer. Read all of the information on the page before you upgrade the Apple MacOS operating system software.
Time needed: 2 days.
1. Identify the technical specifications of your Apple Mac computer.
- Find out the technical specifications of your Apple Mac computer so you know which Apple MacOS you can upgrade too.
Click on the Apple Logo and choose “About this Mac option”
Example dialog box of Apple Mac mini 2011 running MacOS High Sierra.
- Or Lookup the computers serial number.
Lookup the serial number of the Apple Mac computer by visiting the Apple service and support page.
You can find the Apple service and support page here.
- Find out which MacOS version you can use.
Click on the MacOS link to show you which Apple MacOS version is supported against each Apple Mac model.
If you have MacOS High Sierra currently installed try MacOS Mojave, then MacOS Catalina, then MacOS Big Sur.
- Find the MacOS Download installer that meets your Apple Mac computer hardware requirements.
Apple has a unique link for each Apple MacOS version.
The how to get older versions of Mac OS Apple support page has all of the links needed to upgrade the MacOS version.
- Make a backup.
Use the built in Apple Time Machine to make a backup of your Apple Mac computer before upgrading MacOS.
- Install MacOS.
– For MacOS Mojave, MacOS Catalina use the software update icon to upgrade to MacOS Big Sur or later MacOS.
– For other versions of MacOS use the Apple MacOS installer link from the how to get older versions of MacOS page.
- MacOS Installation.
Follow the instructions to complete the installation of the Apple MacOS upgrade.
– You will need to enter in your Apple Mac computer password or Apple ID password to complete the installation.
– Allow enough time for the MacOS to download.
– Allow 35 to 60 minutes for the MacOS upgrade to complete.
- MacOS upgrade final steps.
– Allow the Apple Mac computer to restart several times during the MacOS upgrade.
– The Apple Mac computer might be slow after the upgrade for several hours to allow for background updates to complete.
– Follow the onscreen instructions to complete any additional steps.
- Install any application updates from the Apple app application store.
Open the Apple app store and sign in to your Apple ID account.
Install any further application updates.
– check for any software application updates which might be available to install.
Apple MacOS upgrade information and Mac OS Upgrade FAQ.
- For the best Apple Mac security upgrade to the newest Apple MacOS operating system software version your Apple Mac computer can use.
- Apple MacOS Big Sur has been optimised to support Apple Mac computer that have Flash SSD solid state drives.
- MacOS Catalina and Apple MacOS Big Sur only supports 64-bit applications. Applications like Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and older versions of Adobe software do not run on the newer versions of MacOS.
- Make sure that your third-party applications will work with the Apple MacOS operating system software version.
Use the newest version of the Apple MacOS operating system software that you Apple Mac computer can use.
Upgrading the Apple MacOS operating system software updates Apple MacOS Safari and other Apple Mac applications that are pre-installed on the Apple Mac computer.
Yes. However, the Apple Mac computer need to be fully erased to downgrade the Apple MacOS operating system software.
– Try to find a solution so that you can use MacOS Big Sur without downgrading if possible.
– Purchase Microsoft Office for Mac 2019 or newer.
– Use Apple Pages to open, create, and edit Microsoft Word documents.
• The Apple Pages • Numbers • Keynote and Preview can edit • open • and save to Microsoft Office for Mac formats.
Keith Thomas provides help with installing macOS older versions on your Apple Mac computer.
Complete the online website contact form for assistance.
How to get help with installing older versions of macOS on your computer?
- Complete the online website contact form. (open 24 Hours) with 10:30 am to 21:00 pm response times for completed forms sent to us.
- Our online website contact form only takes a few minutes to complete on your • computer • phone • tablet device.
- We respond by email: we are open daily from 09:30 am to 20:30 pm • 7 days a week service! including weekends and Sundays!
- For Apple Product Repairs for Hardware and Apple Service, use the Apple Product Repairs button!
- Call or Text 07800 940756 lines open 10:30 – 13:00, 14:00 – 17:00, 18:45 – 20:30