Read our free guide on how to speed up a slow Mac computer.
Our guide is on how to speed up a slow Mac computer and provides information on why a Apple Mac computer becomes slow.
And some easy ways and steps to follow and to understand to help speed up a slow Apple iMac desktop computer or a slow MacBook Air • MacBook Pro.
Slow Apple Mac computer help and support.
- Is your Apple Mac computer slow or very slow?
- Do you need to know how to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer?
- Has your Apple Mac computer suddenly become slow or very slow?
- Do you need help with slow Apple Mac computer performance?
Keith Thomas is a Apple Mac computer specialist that can advice you how to repair a slow Apple Mac computer!
Or how to speed up a slow or very slow Apple iMac desktop computer or a slow Apple MacBook Pro or slow MacBook Air laptop computer.
How to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer!
- Is your Apple Mac computer slow or has become slow or very slow?
- Is your Apple iMac computer crashing and also very slow?
- Find out how to speed up a slow Apple iMac computer!
Slow Apple Mac Computer Support.
- The best Apple Mac advice on Why Apple iMac computers become slow.
- Is your Apple iMac computer slow, or all of a sudden are you asking why is my iMac slow all of a sudden?
- Slow iMac computer advice for home users and for businesses that have a 2007 to 2019 iMac desktop computer.
Simply follow our easy guide on how to speed up a slow Apple iMac computer with our easy to follow free guide.
This article explains why an Apple iMac computer can become slow and how to improve the speed and performance of the Apple iMac desktop computer.
Why is my iMac computer suddenly slow?
A Apple iMac computer can become slow or simply very slow, their are 4 reasons why a Apple iMac computer becomes slow or suddenly slow.
• The iMac memory is low • a background process is running • suspect Apple Mac Malware • Incompatible use of Apple Mac security software • incompatible software present after Apple MacOS upgrade • Apple Mac Virus • Apple Mac Malware
• The storage volume full or neary full • the storage volume is end of life known as mean time before failure MTBF • The storage volume has bad sectors and has directory errors that need to be fixed and repaired.
How to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer?
1. Optimise the memory performance!
One of the best ways to speed up a slow iMac computer is to optimise the memory performance of the Apple iMac computer, this is done by using the in built Apple tool called the “Activity Monitor” the activity monitor can show how the internal memory is being used, in all cases the more physical memory the Apple iMac computer has the faster the Apple iMac computer will run, so one of the best ways to speed up a slow iMac computer is to physically install more memory, however, not all Apple iMac desktop computers are user upgradeable.
4 quick steps to help fix a slow Apple Mac computer.
A very quick way to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer is to try some quick and very easy Apple Mac computer maintenance steps.
- Review the open applications that are running on the Apple iMac computer.
- Quit or close the applications from running.
- Make the application is not starting up every time the Apple iMac computer starts up.
- Restart the Apple Mac computer.
To do this quit all of the open applications that are in the Dock, examples shown in the Apple Mac Doc picture below.
Simply quit all of the applications that are running by holding down the mouse or trackpad over the icon/
Then choose the Quit option, the first icon in the Dock the MacOS Finder, do not try to quit the MacOS Finder, you can quit all other applications.
The applications that show the black dot are the ones that are open
This is shown on macOs El Capitan and later by a black dot underneath the application icon.
Once the applications have quit the black dot should disappear.
If the icon is also removed this can be easily added again.
The next step is to manage which applications are started when the Apple iMac computer starts up.
It is best to have no items that are starting up with the Apple Mac computer for the best performance.
2. Review which applications are starting up with the Apple iMac computer
- Open the system preferences from the Apple Menu.
- Choose Users and Groups icon.
- Then click on Login items.
- Remove all of the items that are shown in the Login items panel.
- Highlight the item and click on the – symbol to remove the item form the list.
- Once this has been done, click on the red dot to close down the dialog box.
- Restart the Apple Mac computer, using the Apple menu item Restart …
- Choose the option not to allow “re open windows when logging back in“, simply un tick the tick mark box if ticked.
- Now click Restart.
This will complete the optimisation of the Apple Mac computer memory performance on the Apple Mac computer!
After the Apple Mac computer has restarted you can use the Apple Activity Monitor to review the memory use on the Apple Mac computer.
How to optimise your Apple Mac computers memory performance.
Review the Apple dock and quit all of the applications that are open, the MacOS Finder will not quit, so ignore the first icon in the Dock the Apple MacOS blue and white finder.
To Quit an application that is open on your Apple Mac computer.
- Click and hold down on an application icon in the dock.
- Choose Quit.
- Do this for all of the applications that are showing a small black dot •
- The MacOS Finder cannot quit so do not try to quit the Finder.
- Use the Apple menu items to open the System Preferences.
- Then open the Users and Groups icon.
- Click on the Login Items tab.
- Remove all of the items by using the – symbol.
- Once this has been done then Restart the Apple Mac computer from the steps below.
How to restart the Apple Mac computer.
Next, prepare to restart your Apple Mac computer.
Choose the following option “Reopen Windows when logging back in” untick this option, now restart your Apple Mac computer.
Restart and review Activity Monitor.
Restart the Apple Mac computer then review the Apple Activity Monitor.
To see if the memory ram has been optimised the memory pressure should be green.
The amount of memory used should have decreased and the swap size ideally needs to be 0 bytes after a restart of the Apple Mac computer.
When you Apple Mac computer has restarted, a background task called Spotlight Indexing is started as a automatic process.
This is hidden from view, unless the Spotlight search windows is open.
The Spotlight indexing can cause the Apple Mac computer to run slowly for a few minutes after a restart or for much longer if the disk performance is slow.
How can i tell if i need to add more memory to my Apple Mac computer?
The Apple Activity Monitor has a memory pressure information box which is colour coded and has the following colours Green, Amber, Red.
Apple Activity Monitor colours guide.
Green: – The memory installed is enough to support the MacOS operating system software with the open applications.
Amber: – Additional memory can be added to improve the performance of your Apple Mac computer.
Red: – install more physical memory to improve the performance of your Apple Mac computer.
(3). Check the memory performance on a Apple Mac computer!
To review the results simply open the Apple activity monitor and review the memory pressure details. It needs to be Green!
- The memory pressure information box needs to be green most of the time for the best computer performance.
- if the memory pressure is showing red, after the Apple Mac computer has been restarted:-
- Further steps are needed to find out why the memory pressure is not green and is still red – Mac Malware!?
- If the memory pressure goes from Green to another colour quickly:-
- The Apple Mac computer might need more memory installed or Mac malware is using memory!
The Apple activity monitor is the built in tool to help manage and view the performance of your Apple Mac computer.
Apple Mac Memory RAM – Computer memory often 8Gb today for most Apple Macs!
The memory ram keeps the Apple Mac computer running at a fast speed, once the memory becomes limited, the storage volume is used to keep the Apple Mac operating system running without crashing.
This causes the Apple Mac computer to become slow or very slow. 8Gb is okay for most users even in 2021. 4Gb is now considered not enough memory.
- The more physical memory a Apple Mac computer has, the computer will perform at its optimal speed.
- And will also allow the computer to work without having to put too much workload pressure on the internal storage volume.
- Over time this will improve the life of the internal storage volume. This statement does not apply to the newer M1 or newer Apple Macs.
- A mechanical storage volume over time will wear out and start to fail or suddenly fail.
- To optimise the life of a storage volume, simply optimise the memory performance on the Apple Mac computer, and keep the storage volume 30% free on storage space.by
- By optimising the memory pressure on a Apple Mac computer will then minimise the amount of swap outs.
- Which is the process of swapping out the ram memory to the storage volume and then back to the storage volume is called swap space.
- A storage volume that has a lot of swap space activity can cause the storage volume to reduce the life of the storage volume and become slow.
- As its always working with a high number of read and writes in the background.
- To allow the storage volume to do less work, optimise the Mac memory performance on the computer or add more memory if possible.
- Optimising the memory performance can help with the overall performance of an Apple Mac computer.
The Apple Mac Spotlight index can also cause a Apple Mac computer to become slow or very slow!
- The Apple Mac computer search feature called Spotlight indexes the storage volume on the Apple Mac computer
- if you have a lot of files, folders, and email messages the spotlight index can become slow or damaged
- If your Apple Mac computer is slow to either startup or is slow to shutdown then the spotlight index might be damaged!
- A slow or damaged spotlight index will cause a Apple Mac computer to also start a process known as a kernel task.
- The kernel task takes up memory and the Apple Mac computer becomes slow!
The best way to optimise Spotlight is to remove unwanted files • emails • folders from the storage volume, and then create a new spotlight index.
Information on the storage volume on the Apple Mac computer!
On Apple Mac computers that have an intel cpu and a SATA storage volume, heat can also cause the Apple Mac computer to slow down.
A newer Apple Mac computer with a Apple M1 cpu does not have this problem!
The kernel task on the Apple Mac computer controls the speed of the cpu if the cpu is getting too hot, this process and task can use up memory.
(5). Is Apple Mac Malware using your computers memory slowing down your Mac!
- A Apple Mac computer that is infected with Apple Mac malware can become slow or very slow!
- A malware infected Apple Mac computer often has high memory use, the memory is not optimised.
- Perform a Apple Mac malware security scan to ensure that a Apple Mac computer is malware free.
- One of the best Apple Mac malware removal tools is Malwarebytes.
Read our Apple Mac computer antivirus information on the top 10 antivirus Mac removal tools.
Use a malware removal tool to remove any Apple Mac malware from a Apple Mac computer.
Once this has been done, and if malware is found, remove the malware, and then restart the Apple Mac computer.
Then run the Apple Mac malware scan once more to make sure the computer is malware free.
as soon as prompted by the malware removal application, next review the Apple iMac storage volume.
(6). Optimise the Apple Mac storage volume to fix a slow Mac computer!
Once the Apple Mac computer memory has been optimised and any Apple Mac malware has been removed.
The storage volume is the next item to review.
Read the Apple Mac computer storage volume information so you understand about SATA vs Flash SSD storage.
- If an Apple Mac computer has a mechanical storage volume, over time the storage volume will become slow.
- And in some cases the only way to speed up a Mac with a slow SATA Hard Disk is to either replace it or erase format the disk!
- Only if you have a Apple Time Machine backup that has been tested then the option to factory reset the Apple Mac computer can help as a last option.
- A mechanical SATA hard disk will naturally slow down over time.
- The Apple 1TB SATA disk is known to become slow or very slow all of a sudden.
- Apple use different manufactures for the internal hard disk storage volume.
- From IBM, Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung
Depending on the make and model of the internal hard disk fitted to an Apple Mac computer, this can have an impact on the speed and performance!
- All SATA Hard mechanical hard disks have a speed factor of about 60 MB/s to 90 MB/s.
- vs a SSD which is often 500 MB/s to over 1000 MB /s.
- The newer Apple iMac 2021 M1 desktop computer has a high MB /s speed of more than 1000 MB /s.
Many Apple iMac computers users ask the question why is my iMac 21.5 new computer so slow from new?
Apple sold a new iMac entry level computer with a 1Tb SATA hard disk drive, this model is know to be slow.
The best option is to ask Apple to upgrade the storage volume to a SSD to make the entry level iMac run much faster.
This model has now been discontinued by December 2020
From late 2020 to early 2021 all Apple iMac computers have SSD storage volumes
Unless you asked Apple for a downgrade to a mechanical drive for more storage capacity vs a SSD storage option.
The SSD upgrade is always the best option for this discontinued iMac model.
- The Apple iMac 21.5 inch computers with a SATA Macintosh HD, often had a 5400 rpm rotations per minute Macintosh HD fitted – very slow!
- Apple used a 5400 rpm SATA Hard Disk to keep the thermal temperature of the 21.5 iMac desktop from overheating, thanks to Intel!
- Which is 33% slower than a 7200 rpm disk!
- Apple had the option of a fusion Macintosh HD option for the 21.5 inch iMac computer – much faster!
About the iMac computer range of computers from 2007 to 2019!
The Apple iMac desktop computer range from 2007 to 2019 typically has a mechanical storage volume to store your data.
a SATA storage volume often needs more storage maintenance than a newer Apple iMac that has a SSD storage volume.
A SSD storage volume does not need any Apple Mac computer maintenance tools, data loss can happen if a SATA maintenance software tool is used on a SSD storage volume.
SATA VS SSD storage volumes!
- A SATA mechanical hard disk has a technical term called mean time before failure MTBF, this can be 4 to 7 years before MTBF happens.
- A SSD Flash storage volume has a much higher MTBF rate and should last 10 to 20 years on average.
- Newer Apple Mac computers use flash storage also known as SSD solid state drive storage.
- So they do not often have a storage performance problem.
- All Apple MacBook Air laptop computers have a Flash storage, and the Apple iMac computer range from 2020 use flash SSD storage!
- macOS Catalina • MacOS Big Sur • MacOS Monterey are optimised to use SSD flash storage!
- Apple has moved away from using SATA storage in late 2019!
How to speed up the storage volume on your Apple Mac computer?
The best way to speed up the storage volume on a Apple Mac computer, is to free up storage space by removing files and folders on the storage volume.
One of the newer ways to optimise the storage volume on the Apple Mac computer is to use the Apple iCloud help optimise the speed of a Mac storage volume.
The storage volume on the Apple Mac computer ca become slow or very slow if the storage volume becomes full or nearly full.
Consult with an Apple iMac computer specialist for further ways to improved the speed and performance of a slow Apple Mac storage volume.
(6). The Apple Mac computer has built in tools to help optimise the storage volume!
Starting with macOS High Sierra all Apple Mac computers have built in tools to help manage and optimise the storage volume.
- Open the Apple menu items and choose About this Mac.
- Select the Storage option.
- Click on manage…
- Follow the recommendations.
Has your Apple Mac computer had a crash or a sudden shutdown or a power cut?
The storage volume will need a repair after a sudden shut down or power cut.
Use the Apple macOS Disk First aid to repair the storage volume on your Apple Mac computer!
How to get a quick overview on the Storage use on a Apple Mac computer.
- Chose the Apple menu items
- About this Mac
- Select the Storage option.
- Review the information shown.
Under the storage icon this will show the capacity of the storage volume, and the type of storage volume.
The Storage information shown below is from a Apple MacBook Pro with a 240Gb SSD drive fitted. Note the Other in Yellow!
The Other storage in Yellow is now shown as grey on newer Apple Mac computers, this is often purgeable storage.
The purgeable storage system on a Mac is self managed, their is no need to try to remove this storage space.
(7). How do i find out what is slowing down my Apple Mac?
- Use the Apple activity monitor to look at the memory performance of the Apple Mac computer.
- Use the Apple Disk Utility to repair any problems with the Apple Mac storage volume.
- Make a Apple Time Machine backup of the Apple Mac computer before using the Apple Disk Utility.
- Use the Apple Disk Utility to repair the Apple Mac startup volume.
- For the best Slow Mac Repair use the Apple Disk Utility from the macOS Revovery Console.
Why is my Apple Mac so slow all of a sudden?
The Apple Mac computer storage volume may have developed a technical problem.
Or the Apple Mac computer might be getting hot from either the cpu or from the storage volume if its a SATA storage volume.
- The Apple Mac operating system software can control the speed and performance of a Apple Mac computer.
- A kernel task can run in the background which can cause the Mac to become slow giving slow performance.
- The kernel task controls the speed of the microprocessor often seen on a intel cpu Apple iMac computer.
- Intel microprocessors are known to get hot or very hot on all computers!
- Apple iMac computers have a thermal sensor that knowns the internal temperature of the Apple iMac computer.
- The kernel task duty is to start to manage the temperature of the computer.
- To avoid an iMac computer from getting hot or very hot, have the Apple iMac computer air vents cleaned.
Consult with a Apple Mac computer engineer on having a Apple Mac computer service completed if basic cleaning does not help.
The internal hard disk on the Apple iMac computer has a mean time before failure, MTBF, however, in many cases the hard disk internal components start to wear away, causing the iMac storage volume to slow down, or in some cases fail, causing the Apple iMac computer to show a question mark on startup or a circle on startup.
What is the best hardware performance upgrade for the Apple iMac computer?
The best hardware upgrade for a Apple iMac computer that is slow is to replace the internal storage volume from SATA to SSD.
The best storage volume is a SSD solid state drive, a SSD is always 60% to 70% faster then the original hard disk drive in a SATA iMac.
A full SSD is even faster than a Fusion Drive. A SSD is even 45% faster than the Apple Fusion drive, which is part SSD part, part mechanical technology.
Today in 2021 Apple will not upgrade a 2015 Apple iMac computer with a SSD.
So another option is to consider using a external SSD storage volume as the macOS startup disk.
If you have a iMac 2013 to iMac 2019 use macOS Catalina for the best SSD performance.
The Apple MacOS Catalina has been optimised for SSD use, upgrade a Apple 2012 to 2019 iMac to MacOS Catalina for the best possible performance.
Why is my new Apple Mac computer running slow?
- A brand new Apple iMac computer can run slowly after a restore from a Apple Time Machine backup.
- A brand new iMac computer has to download data from the Apple icloud.
- The Apple Mac computer is downloading email messages.
- Downloading or uploading icloud photos and videos in the background.
- The Apple iCloud is downloading or uploading data for the first time.
- A third party software application is causing a new Apple Mac computer to become slow.
Simply allow more time for a brand new Apple iMac computer to complete the setup process which runs in the background.
How to fix a slow 2012 to 2017 or 2019 iMac computer?
The best way to fix a slow 2012 iMac , 2017 iMac , 2018 iMac or a iMac 2019 computer is to review the storage volume.
And to optimise the memory performance.
Make sure that Apple Mac OS Catalina is installed and the updates to Apple Mac OS Catalina are installed.
Upgrade to Apple MacOS Big Sur if your Apple iMac computer is supported.
All Apple iMac computers from 2013 to 2020 and newer support Apple MacOS Big Sur.
For the very best Apple iMac 2012 to iMac 2019 performance if the iMac has a SATA storage volume.
Install the macOS operating system software to a external USB 3.0 SSD solid state drive as this is much faster than the internal SATA storage volume.
A Apple iMac computer that has a slow 1Tb SATA storage volume, can have a 66% to 70% performance boost increased speed with a SSD solid state flash storage upgrade.
Why is my Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer getting hot and also slow?
- The Microprocessor cpu is performing multiple tasks, and this causes the Apple Macbook pro to become hot or very hot.
- The Microprocessor cpu temperature can slow down the performance of the MacBook Pro laptop computer.
- The MacBook Pro battery is end of life and is causing heat, which slows down the MacBook Pro even more.
- A Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer will become hot if the microprocessor cpu is performing many tasks
- The fans in your Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer need maintenance, caused by dust, and small particles.
- The MacBook Pro battery charger is the wrong one for the MacBook Pro model!
- A background process is used to control the cpu speed to stop the Apple Mac computer from becoming too hot.
- The Apple MacOS operating system has a process called kernal_task which is used to control the performance of the microprocessor cpu.
- To help optimise the speed and performance of a Apple Mac computer that is hot:-
- Switch off the computer for 10-15 minutes to allow the computer to cool down.
Why is my new Apple iMac slow?
The entry level iMac computer manufactured with a 1Tb SATA mechanical hard disk storage volume is going to be slower than a older Apple MacBook Air or Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer.
The Apple MacBook Air, and some Apple MacBook Pro computers, have a SSD solid state drive storage volume, an SSD storage volume is much faster than the 1Tb SATA disk used in the Apple iMac computer.
Apple have now discontinued all Apple iMac computers with a 1Tb SATA storage volume from the 04th August 2020, so we would be surprised to see a slow Apple iMac 21.5 inch Mid 2020, or a Apple iMac 27 inch Mid 2020 model.
The quickest way to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer is to perform Apple Mac computer maintenance to optimise the storage volume and to optimise the Apple MacOS operating system software processes running in the background.
Why do Apple Mac computers become slow or very slow over time?
Today with both SSD solid state Apple Mac computers and conventional mechanical hard disks on older 2007 to 2019 Apple iMac computers.
And on older Apple MacBook Pro 2009 to MacBook Pro 2016 laptop computers the mechanical storage volume will become slow over time.
And eventually fail stop or stop working.
A design feature of a mechanical storage volume is to simply slow down if the hard disk has a problem.
By design the Apple Mac computer will slow down to protect the data on the mechanical storage volume.
If the mechanical storage volume becomes full or has only 10% or 20% free storage capacity the Apple Mac computer also becomes slow or very slow.
Thermal heat can slow down an Apple Mac computer.
All Apple Mac computers run a task known as a kernel_task, this background process is designed to control the performance of the cpu microprocessor.
To slow down the cpu microprocessor when the thermal heat of the cpu is running at a high temperature.
By design the kernel_task process which can be see in the Apple Activity Monitor uses up ram memory to run the process task.
So the more heat the Apple Mac is generating the slower the Apple Mac computer will become.
By design all intel cpu microprocessors run at a high temperature and need good cooling technology.
Clean your Apple Mac computer for better performance!
Over Time a Apple iMac desktop computer or a Apple MacBook Air or Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer will simply collect dust.
which will cause the Apple Mac computer to heat up.
If many applications are open or running in the background, Apple iMac computer or Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer will run the internal fans at a high speed causing annoying fan noise and slower performance.
- For the Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer having a battery that i showing a battery service or battery maintenance is needed.
- The heat from the battery can cause the Apple Macbook Pro to produce more heat and in effect become even more slow.
- A Apple MacBook battery will generate heat when charging, causing the Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer to slow down or to start the kernel_task process.
- To optimise a Apple iMac desktop computer and Apple Macbook Pro laptop computer from getting hot or overheating.
- Clean the air ducts and the fan ports on the Apple Mac computer by using a small vacuum hoover to remove the dust from the Apple Mac ports and vents.
- By having a clean Apple Mac computer can help improve the performance of the Apple Mac computer.
How to optimise the Apple MacOS operating system software.
The best way to optimise the performance of a Apple Mac computer is to keep the Apple MacOS operating system software up to date.
Each year Apple launches a new Apple MacOS operating system software for use on Apple Mac computers.
A Apple Mac computer needs to have the right hardware to support a macOS operating system software upgrade.
All Apple Mac computer will only apply updates to the same Apple MacOS operating system software version that is currently installed.
To upgrade to a newer Apple MacOS operating system software version a manual task of allowing a Apple MacOS operating system software upgrade is needed.
This can be done from the software update icon on newer versions of macOS from macOS Mojave or newer macOS.
What is the best Apple MacOS operating system software for my Apple Mac computer to use?
As a guide the Apple iMac 2009 computers can run Apple MacOS Lion 10.7 to Apple MacOS Sierra or Apple MacOS High Sierra.
- The Apple iMac 2010 to 2011 computers will run either Apple MacOS High Sierra or Apple MacOS Mojave.
- The Apple iMac 2012 to 2019 computers will run Apple MacOS Catalina.
- The Apple iMac Mid 2020 computers will run Apple Mac OS Big Sur
- The Apple Mac mini 2011 computer can run Apple MacOS Lion 10.7 to Apple MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.
- The Apple MacBook Pro 2014 to MacBook Pro 2019 computers will run MacOS Catalina.
- The Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch 2014 and Apple MacBook Pro 2015 can run MacOS Big Sur.
- All Apple Mac computers that are 2015 to 2021 can run Apple MacOS Big Sur.
- The Apple Mac mini late 2014 will run MacOS Monterey.
- Most Apple Mac computers from 2015 or newer will run macOS Monterey.
If you are using a Apple Mac computer that is using macOS High Sierra or older, this is no longer a good idea if the computer is used for the internet.
The macOS Mojave or newer is needed for the Apple Mac computer to support antivirus and Mac malware removal tools today.
How to optimise the performance of a storage volume?
The best way to optimise a storage volume is to reduce the amount of used storage space if possible.
This applies for SSD solid state drive storage and mechanical hard disk drives storage including the discontinued fusion drives on the Apple iMac computers.
Using conventional software tools for Apple Mac computer storage maintenance on a SSD solid state drive is not recommended.
And can cause a SSD solid state drive to fail or shorten its life.
A SSD solid state drive that is full or nearly full makes the SSD solid state drive work much more harder and again this can shorten the life of the SSD and slow down the computer.
The best way to optimise the mechanical storage volume in a Apple iMac or MacBook Pro computer is to use Apple Disk First Aid.
Or a recommended third party Apple Mac computer maintenance tool to help speed up a mechanical storage volume.
Over time a mechanical storage volume will build up caches, and temporary files, which will cause the mechncahal storage volume to take it longer to read and write data to the mechanical hard disk.
This makes the Apple Mac computer become slow or very slow, as the computer has to take time to find free storage space to use.
By performing Apple Mac computer maintenance service on a Apple Mac computer with a mechanical storage volume can speed up a slow Apple iMac computer.
Or speed up a slow Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer.
Do not use a third party software tool to try to speed up a SSD storage volume or try to free up space on a SSD, use the built in macOS software tools.
Get 66% to 70% more performance from an older iMac or MacBook Pro!
The best way to speed up a slow Apple Mac computer is to replace the mechanical hard disk drive with a SSD solid state storage drive.
This can transform a slow Apple Imac 2009 computer from being very slow to becoming as almost as fast as a iMac 2019 computer that has a slow 5400 1Tb hard disk installed.
All newer Apple Mac computers today have a SSD Flash storage Apple has optimised macOS Big Sur to work better with a SSD storage volume.
iMac Slow startup with macOS Big Sur.
Has macOS Big Sur caused a slow iMac computer startup issue with your Apple Mac computer?
The iMac computers with a SATA Hard Disk can be slow on startup after a macOS software update.
If you have just upgraded to macOS Big Sur, or you have deleted or you have had a computer crash, macOS Big Sur can be slow to start-up with a slow start-up progress bar. The macOS Big Sur operating system is usually performing a background Apple Disk Utility disk first aid task in the background. Or the Apple iMac computer is fixing the Spotlight index. If the problem persists then start-up the Apple iMac computer from the macOS Recovery Console to do a manual Apple Disk Utility repair on the macOS start-up volume.
Slow Apple Mac computer FAQ questions and answers!
Most Apple Mac computers have 8Gb of memory which is enough memory for the pre installed software applications.
If you have a intel cpu on your Apple Mac computer and you have installed more applications then 16Gb is often recommended.
The more memory a intel Apple Mac has the faster the performance.
This is not the case for the newer Apple M1 cpu computers as 8Gb is fine for most users even if you install more software applications.
– Memory fragmentation.
– Mac Malware.
– Slow Storage volume.
– Storage volume is full.
– Heat thermal problem
The best way to speed up an older Apple Mac computer is to replace the SATA storage volume with a SSD solid state storage volume.
– The computer is still completing the setup tasks in the background.
– email messages are being downloaded in the background.
– Apple iCloud is downloading Photos and videos to the computer.
– The Apple Mac computer is creating a spotlight index in the background.
– A third party software application s causing the computer to become slow.
The best way to fix a slow startup on a iMac desktop PC computer is to use the macOS Recovery Console to perform a Apple Disk Utility First Aid Repair on the storage volume.
If the problem persists, then see if the storage volume is full, or nearly full, also delete the Apple Spotlight Index and again use the macOS Recovery Console Apple Disk Utility First Aid.
If the problem persists, consider a SSD upgrade if you have a SATA Storage volume.
After about 10 to 15 minutes, use the power button on the Apple Mac computer to shut down the computer, and wait a few minutes and power on the computer again.
If the problems persists, then startup the Apple Mac computer from the macOS Recovery Console, to perform a Apple Disk Utility Disk First Aid Repair on the startup disk storage volume.
How to get help with a slow Apple Mac computer?
- Complete the online website contact form. (open 24 Hours) with 10:30 am to 21:00 pm response times for completed forms sent to us.
- Our online website contact form only takes a few minutes to complete on your • computer • phone • tablet device.
- We respond by email: we are open daily from 09:30 am to 20:30 pm • 7 days a week service!, including weekends and Sundays!